Saturday, August 28, 2004

There are certain things in life that continue to baffle me.
  1. I recently saw Andrea Walker's mother twice, but hadn't seen her for about three years previous. At this point, and after Andrea's departure for school, her mother is welcoming us tomorrow night for a pool party - thrown by... her and me. She's gonna cook too. What a sweet lady - I'm still baffled by her love, though....
  2. I found myself, also, asking -- "What the hell IS schadewald?"
  3. I closed three bank accounts in the last 2 days, closed a safe deposit box account, opened another, and arranged for deposits into an account in the twin cities with my bank's partner bank there. Technology is amazing!
  4. Did I mention that I'm throwing a pool party at a person's house who has already left?
  5. I'm going on a retreat before orientation, which is right before school. This retreat is for a leadership program, and I've been asked to bring a single item with me that represents one of my commitments (ethnic, family, political, religious, etc.) that I would like to talk about with the group. I decided to take 3 or 4 photos. You all know that I'm not a religious person, thus have no spiritual book to guide me. No political theorist has ever inspired me, and no Chicano history drives me. I'm taking photos of you guys, photos of us, and one of my family. I know that I didn't ever get to talk to a lot of you about my goals in life, the serious ones. I want you to know that you, my friends from the past, and the friends who I will make in the future are the people who will drive me till I die. My life isn't about me, it's about us.
  6. Packing today, I must have moved some stuff with extra amounts of dust - I haven't stopped sneezing all day. It's hellish to say the least.
  7. Those of you who have left have made it seem easy. I can't figure out what to pack first and last - what should be shipped and what I need to take immediately. I'm screwed.
  8. I wrote an email to Neswood - I had a couple of things to say. I decided to share the passages with all of you, also, in hopes that you find as much value in them as I.
  • "Fortes fortuna adjuvat," said Virgil, probably quoting a common expression of his era -- fortune favors the bold -- though the book of Proverbs tells us that "The meek shall inherit the Earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace." Is it possible to be both bold and meek? If you live with a sense of vision and thrive on cooperation, it certainly is. Your presence and your example are direct forms of leadership. People are noticing you and, though so much else in the world appears to be shrouded in fog, smog and mystery, it's clear that you're offering reassurance, a ray of light and some new ideas. Count on that, because it's about to take you as far as you want to go.
  • If people only knew what fears you face every day, and how much strength it takes you to rise to the level of your faith. Yet you actually hold faith as a true standard; in other words, it's more than just a word for you, and it comes with a special challenge and a true reward. Particularly these days, nobody can accuse you of living unconsciously. And while your past mistakes may be weighing a little more heavily than usual on you, the pressure to scrutinize yourself is strictly an internal phenomenon. People are far more forgiving of you than you are of yourself. I suggest you take their example; there are great rewards.

Good night all.


5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

i'm just gonna suggest for everyone's sake that me make these posts short and sweet, my long winded and excessive friend alex. personally i just gave up and stopped reading at about the number 2. if you really want people to see your post maybe you should keep it within reason.

August 28, 2004 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger ali said...

jeff you're the meanest person in the world. and the laziest. and the dumbest. and i miss you :) shout out to alex for trying to say something meaningful that was, in part, way over my head (i'm sticking my tongue out at jeff ha ha!!)

August 28, 2004 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Linz said...

Ali, don't sell your self short! You are waaaaay the meanest person in the world!!! Just kidding I love you and miss you too. =)

August 28, 2004 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger nes said...

Thanks Alex.

August 29, 2004 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger C Lo said...

um....... what?

August 29, 2004 at 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home